MN Wheat Weekly Update
Drought Monitor July 23rd vs July 30th (US Drought Monitor)
Yellow = Abnormally Dry, Tan = Moderate Drought, Orange = Severe Drought
MN Crop Progress Report (USDA) August 3rd (USDA)
- HRS 93% Turning Color (3 Days ahead of last year)
- Harvest 7% Complete – 8 days ahead of last year, 1 day behind normal
- HRS Crop Condition – 2% Very Poor, 2% Poor, 20% Fair, 66% Good, & 10% Excellent
- Top Soil Moisture – 2% Very Short, 10% Short, 75% Adequate, & 13% Surplus
- Sub Soil Moisture – 2% Very Short, 7% Short, 80% Adequate, & 11% Surplus
Wheat Harvest 2020 (Steve Mercer, US Wheat Associates)
- The HRW harvest is gaining momentum in the north and northwest with steady to improving quality; protein increased to 11.9% (12% mb). The SRW harvest is all but done and the crop remains much improved over 2019. HRS conditions improved this week with harvest underway in South Dakota and southern Minnesota, and warm, dry weather ahead to push HRS and durum development. SW winter harvest progressed well with good conditions in the 10-day forecast.
- US Wheat Associates weekly harvest reports. Register here for their weekly updates…good information.
US Wheat Price Report (Claire Hutchins)
- US Wheat Full Supply & Demand Report:
NAWG Legislative Update (Caitlin Eannello)
- Agri-Pulse: China Objects To US Retaliation Over Grain Subsidies
“China Wednesday officially rejected U.S. claims that China has failed to comply with a 2019 World Trade Organization ruling against China’s price supports for its wheat and rice farmers — subsidies that U.S. farmers say hurt international trade. The U.S. recently requested WTO authorization to hit China with ‘countermeasures’ worth $1.3 billion, and China railed against the request during the Wednesday meeting of the WTO’s Dispute Settlement Body.” Read more in Agri-Pulse.
- USDA Launches New Website Features to Help Farmers Hire Workers
On July 27, 2020 U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue announced new features on the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Farmers.gov website designed to help facilitate the employment of H-2A workers. Secretary Purdue stated, “USDA’s goal is to help farmers navigate the complex H-2A program that is administered by Department of Labor, Department of Homeland Security, and the State Department so hiring a farm worker is an easier process.”
- USDA’s “Rural Resilience Farm Stress Training” Course
The U.S. Department of Agriculture has created a new online stress management training course for farmers and anyone connected with agriculture. Gary Crawford has more about it on Agriculture USA: https://www.usda.gov/media/radio/weekly-features/2020-07-28/new-and-free-online-farm-stress-management-course.
Industry News (Minnesota Farm Bureau Weekly News Update)
Minnesota Senate and Congressional Candidates to Speak at Farmfest Virtual Event
IDEAg Group, producers of Minnesota Farmfest, lineup has been announced for Farmfest Virtual 2020, August 4-6. These online political forums and education sessions will be available as webinar-style, virtual events.
While Farmfest in its traditional form is not a reality for 2020, the Farmfest organization has developed political forums, education sessions and recognition ceremonies for online participation. Attendees can register for the FREE webinars on farmfest.com to have the opportunity to ask a question of the panelists.
Click the link to view the schedule of Minnesota Senate and Congressional Candidates to Speak at Farmfest Virtual Event