MN Wheat Weekly Update
Drought Monitor August 6th vs August 13th (US Drought Monitor)
Yellow = Abnormally Dry, Tan = Moderate Drought, Orange = Severe Drought
MN Crop Progress Report (USDA) August 16th (USDA)
- Harvest 31% Complete – 6 days ahead of last year, 6 day behind normal
- HRS Crop Condition – 2% Very Poor, 4% Poor, 18% Fair, 64% Good, & 12% Excellent
- Top Soil Moisture – 2% Very Short, 12% Short, 73% Adequate, & 13% Surplus
- Sub Soil Moisture – 2% Very Short, 8% Short, 81% Adequate, & 9% Surplus
NCI Webinar – Navigating Change & Building Resilience in Small Scale Ag Food Processing.
- August 26th , 9-10:30am CST
- Guest Speakers – Guy Moos & Dennis Hoiberg
- If you are interested in how to navigate your business through turbulent times, register to join us.
Wheat Harvest 2020 (Steve Mercer, US Wheat Associates)
- The HRW harvest moved close to 90% complete this week with very good crop quality. The SRW harvest is complete with final quality results still to come. With close to half the SW crop in the bin, protein, moisture, and test weights are looking very good. HRS harvest advanced and northern durum harvest started this week. Heat and dryness brought down official condition and yield potential ratings but will push crop maturity and harvest this week.
- US Wheat Associates weekly harvest reports. Register here for their weekly updates…good information.
Virtual September Marketing Seminar hosted by Minnesota Association of Wheat Growers and the North Dakota Grain Growers
As times change, so do we! Please join us for this virtual event. Presenters will be together at one location to maximize the delivery of their valuable information. Your registration and participation is requested! Register today!
- Crunching the Numbers – Betsy Jensen, Farm Business Management Instructor, Northland Community & Technical College
- COVID, China and Confusion: 2020/21 Crop Market Outlook – Dr. Frayne Olson, Crops Economist/Marketing Specialist, NDSU
- Ag Policy and Its Influence on Marketing -, Howard Olson, SVP Government & Public Affairs, AgCountry Farm Credit Services
- Profits Through Intensive Marketing – Bret Oelke, Owner, Innovus Agra, LLC
MN Farm Suicide Survivors Support Group
An online group providing support to Minnesota farmers and farm families who have lost a loved one to suicide. Group will be held the third Monday of each month from 8-9:30 pm.
- Goal: To give survivors a nonjudgmental, comfortable and completely confidential space to express themselves and find support among other farm family members who truly understand.
- For more information contact: Monica McConkey, Minnesota Rural Mental Health Specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org or 218-280-7785.
- Register here
US Wheat Price Report (Claire Hutchins)
- US Wheat Full Supply & Demand Report:
NAWG Legislative Update (Caitlin Eannello)
- USDA Releases August WASDE Report
On August 12, 2020, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) released its August Crop Production and World Agricultural Supply and Demand Estimates (WASDE) report. “The outlook for 2020/21 U.S. wheat this month is for increased production offset by lower imports, higher exports, and lower ending stocks. U.S. wheat production is raised 14 million bushels to 1,838 million as increased Hard Red Spring (HRS) and Durum production more than offsets lower winter wheat production as indicated by the NASS August 12 Crop Production report.”
Soil Health Partnership Collaboration
SHP Wheat Week, September 8-10. It will be composed of three consecutive virtual field days all focused around our wheat trials.
On day one we will get perspectives on soil health from our wheat industry partners. Then, on day two and three, attendees will hear from SHP farmer partners in Kansas and Minnesota to see the wheat trials they are implementing along with their challenges and goals for soil health on their operation.