Strategic Farming: Field Notes discussed prevent plant and late planting decisions
On June 8, 2022, Dr. Seth Naeve, UMN Extension soybean agronomist and UMN Extension ag business management educator, Dave Bau, joined UMN Extension educators Liz Stahl and Ryan Miller for a discussion about how to objectively evaluate options for fields that haven’t been planted yet. Is it better to plant soybeans or elect to take a prevented plant payment? What are some of the adjustments one should consider when planting soybean late? These and other issues were addressed in the fifth episode of the 2022 Strategic Farming: Field Notes program.
Read the blog post
Use FieldWatch to locate pesticide sensitive sites before spraying
Off-target movement of pesticides is a concern for crop growers and their neighbors. For example, herbicide drift can damage adjacent crops and ornamental plants. When pesticide treatments are needed on crop fields, it is important to be aware of sensitive sites in the area. This has become an even greater concern with increased use of growth regulator (Group 4) herbicides which can cause plant injury at extremely low rates. Newer 2,4-D and dicamba product labels specify that surrounding areas should be surveyed for the presence of sensitive species prior to application. In addition, many other frequently used herbicides, such as glyphosate (Group 9), PPO-inhibitors (Group 14), and HPPD inhibitors (Group 27) have numerous label precautions to avoid drift onto sensitive plants. Use the FieldWatch map resource, https://mn.driftwatch.org/map, to help find the locations of sensitive crops in the area.
Read the blog post
Upcoming crops events
- Strategic Farming Field Notes
- May 11 through the growing season, Wednesday mornings from 8-8:30 a.m.
- Small Grain Summer Plot Tours
- July 12: Oklee, 9-11 a.m.
- July 13: Humboldt, 9-11 a.m.
- July 22: Strathcona, 1-3 p.m.
- Field Days
- Agronomy Field Tour, June 21, SROC, Waseca
- Soybean gall midge scouting and management, early July, Rock County
- Rochester Weed Control Field Day, July 6, Rochester
- Crops & Soils Day, July 20, 2022, NWROC, Crookston
- Institute for Ag Professionals Field School, July 20-21, St. Paul
- Cover Crop Field Day: Setting up for Success, Aug 18, 2022, SWROC, Lamberton
- SWROC Pest management field day, August, Lamberton
- Crops Field Day, late August, RROC, Rosemount