Minnesota Crop News
Small Grains Disease and Pest Update 06/22/22
This weekend’s record-breaking heat stalled the risk of initial infections of most all of the foliar fungal pathogens and Fusarium Head Blight. As temperatures have dropped from their record highs and a couple of cold fronts have resulted in widespread thunderstorms across the northern half of Minnesota, the risk of initial infections of tan spot and leaf rust is increasing again. A quick check of your pant legs at 10:00 in the morning or 9:00 at night will be very telling – if you end up with wet pant legs you probably are encountering long enough leaf wetness periods for either disease to start.
Upcoming crops events
- Strategic Farming Field Notes
- May 11 through the growing season, Wednesday mornings from 8-8:30 a.m.
- Small Grain Summer Plot Tours
- July 12: Oklee, 9-11 a.m.
- July 13: Humboldt, 9-11 a.m.
- July 22: Strathcona, 1-3 p.m.
- Field Days
- Agronomy Field Tour, June 21, SROC, Waseca
- Soybean gall midge scouting and management, early July, Rock County
- Rochester Weed Control Field Day, July 6, Rochester
- Crops & Soils Day, July 20, 2022, NWROC, Crookston
- Institute for Ag Professionals Field School, July 20-21, St. Paul
- Cover Crop Field Day: Setting up for Success, Aug 18, 2022, SWROC, Lamberton
- SWROC Pest management field day, August, Lamberton
- Crops Field Day, late August, RROC, Rosemount